Thursday, December 8, 2011

Oatmeal

*Disclaimer* I'm writing this totally as something to talk about that I find interesting.  I am not an expert. I'm not interested in negative comments and reactions.  I'm called to learn about these topics so I research them and make decisions for my family on them.  If you're interested in asking me more about my craziness- I'd love to chat. 

I call myself oatmeal because I don't quite fit the term granola.  For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, let me give my quick definition of terms:
granola- used to describe someone who may have been called a hippie.  These people value nature and preserving the perfectness of the Lord's creation for our bodies and lives.  I always envision someone wearing a beanie, rock climbing shoes, and carrying a Nalgene water bottle.
Living in Fayetteville, I feel we have a larger than average population of granola here.  I think it has to do with all the outdoor activities and rolling hills that is Arkansas.
I would define us as oatmeal- a healthier alternative but not quite pure granola.  As a health professional, it's hard for me to ignore the growing diseases that we face.  As far as I'm concerned, I can't see how our environment is not playing directly into the rise of these problems.  Research has alluded to the possible connection of certain chemical exposures and their influence upon our bodies.  Mostly cancer and neurological diseases (Parkinson's and Alzheimer's).  But we live in a country where people are making lots of money off of these products and they want to continue to make that money.  Therefore, we continue to buy products trusting that it is safe because "they" would tell us if its not.  Who is "they", I don't know.  But I just couldn't understand why "they" didn't tell me everything I feel I need to know.  And what I know about these items is constantly changing and growing.  Just like medicine, what we did 15 years ago may have been the opposite of what we should do now.  But it was the best we knew to do at that time.  Also, I've accepted that I have to change the things that I can change and do it at a pace that is comfortable for us.  Sometimes, I feel like packing ourselves up and mimicking Little House on the Prairie somewhere far away from pesticides and phalates!
So here's our quirks:
Deodorant-  Poor Bryan, I make us both us aluminum free deodorant.  In PT school I learned that this metal exposure was associated with increases in Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.  It will break my heart if in another 20 years the FDA advises us to not use it because it's cause for these diseases.  If it's found to never be a problem- oh well, we had less metal exposure.  (But seriously... how can that not be an advantage!)
Diapers-  we use chlorine free disposable and reusable g diapers.  The reusable really are not that hard.  I think the hardest part is just jumping in and doing it.  I do a load of diapers every 2-3 days.  So it's not much different then my normal laundry routine.  My reasoning's for using these items is reducing Holden's chemical exposure.  Regular diapers are bleached and filled with chemicals that aid in the absorption. 
Cleaning products-  I've been progressively moving us toward bleach free products.  Seventh Generation has been a big help in this.  Holden will soon be crawling around everywhere and I want to make sure I know what is going all over his little hands.  A book Bryan read while I was pregnant suggested using only vinegar and water for cleaning. 
Food-  After working with patients with prostate cancer, it made me start to think.  One in five men has prostate cancer today.  That's ridiculous!  Why... we of course don't know.  So I started thinking, and I truly believe it is our environment.  What we put into our bodies and what we expose our bodies to is what is killing and disabling us.  (remember again, that these are totally my opinions).  This is my main motivator in all these crazy changes we've done.  With that said, we have begun moving our food to organic as well.  Currently our meat (mainly chicken) is organic.  We buy only organic milk.  And about half of our fruits and veggies are organic now.  Holden of course eats only organic products.  I buy his fruits at the store on weekend and make enough baby food to last the week.  I peel, chop, steam, and then puree them all.  When unable to find the correct fruit or if I've run out, I've bought an organic baby food product.  I was upset today when I saw several other items listed under the ingredients.  I have found one brand that has organic veggies and only that- available at WalMart, Sprout.
In conclusion- I'm making small changes that I feel will be beneficial to our family.  Will I eat cake made from a box?... heck yes!  I will still order the wonderful pasta chicken dish knowing that it's not free range organic chicken.  Things that I'd like to improve over the next year: increase the number of organic fruits and veggies in our house, reduce the amount of processed foods, investigate chemical free carpet cleaning, research using Epsom salts as "body cleansers",

1 comment:

  1. We can definitely be considered "oatmeal" too. :) I use an aluminum-free deodorant (which do you use?), but Dave can't stand the stuff. Maybe I can convince him to give it another try if I find out what Bryan likes! We also do almost all of our food organic, and I can personally tell a difference. We hardly get sick (although, Jade and daycare have really been putting our immunities to the test). I have a really good book called "Gorgeously Green" that I think you might enjoy. Do you have it? If not, I will let you borrow it. There's lots of good tips in there, including cleaning products and beauty products.

    ReplyDelete